Here are a few trends from Small business and merchant surveys.
1) Consumers adopt technology faster than small business owners.
2) 60% of consumers use mobile for local information online.
3) Mobile has become the local discovery preference utilized by consumers.
4) From 2013 thru 2015 to date, there has been an increase in mobile ad spending by 42%.
5) Small business priorities for mobile are to acquire new customers (tend to ignore current customers) and for brand awareness.
6) Tend to perceive email and facebook as the only electronic means for marketing and mobile. Tend to ignore other social outlets, texting and loyalty programs. Small business owners are intimidated by mobile and the perceived time needed for all electronic means of marketing.
7) Small business owners are overwhelmed with all the options and tend to view all options as unrelated, instead of looking at how to unify and work together.
8) No clear goals or budget for marketing, loyalty and post boosting.